Hearing Awareness Week 21 – 28 August 2016

HAW 2016 (2)Join the general public, audiologists and those affected by hearing and related conditions this week as we pay attention to the importance of communication and the role that hearing plays in our lives.

Whether you enjoy music, rely on hearing to do your job or use sound only to hear your baby cry – educate the public about what hearing and sound mean to you during hearing awareness week.

 

 

REGULATION OF AUDIOLOGY

The ABC and Radio National featured the ACCC investigation into audiology and the sale of hearing aids in Australia in news broadcasts during June 2016.

Listen to the ABC from 28 June 2016 segment here.

Read the transcript of ACCC investigates rorting claims in audiology industry – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Listen to the follow up segment from  30 June 2016 here.

Read the transcript of Peak audiology bodies call for reform 30 June 2016

The ACCC advised us that:

  • The ACCC sought to understand consumer experiences though a survey to explore the nature and extent of concerns about the sale of hearing devices.
  • Responses to the survey highlighted a range of consumer concerns and we have been following up on some of the examples and to obtain further information.
  • The ACCC is reviewing the information but hasn’t yet formed a view as to whether consumer law issues arise. We expect to say something publicly in the coming months.
  • Although the survey has concluded, if consumers or clinicians would like to raise concerns about the sale of hearing devices they may continue to do so by contacting the ACCC’s Infocentre on 1300 302 502 or by visiting the ACCC’s website and lodging an online complaint.

IAA has promoted regulation of the audiology profession as a healthcare profession under AHPRA, in line with the way our colleagues in closely affilliated professions are regulated (including optometry, occupational therapy, psychology, nursing, medicine, Chinese medical practitioners and others).

We recently surveyed audiologists to ask if they think audiology should be a regulated profession in Australia, as it is in many other countries.  97% of audiologists answered “yes”.  The other 3 %  said they did not know.  No audiologists answered “no”

IAA has been seeking to educate its members, the audiology profession, and affiliated consumer groups about the need for regulation of audiology for several years.

Download the IAA paper here: IAA Regulation of Audiology in Australia July 2015

Read our Wellington Declaration calling for a clear separation of industry and profession, taken up by IAA  in 2015.

Our code of ethics, which all members are signatories to, is available here.

Follow discussion about regulation and audiology in The Conversation – here.

Send comments or enquiries on the regulation of audiology in Australia to exec@independentaudiologists.net.au

Frustrated by Hearing Loss? 5 Keys to Communication Success – purchase here

Dusty Ann Jessen Au.D has published an Australian edition of her highly successful handbook and support programme – Frustrated by Hearing Loss? 5 Keys to Communication Success.

The Australian version includes Australian resources, an endorsement by Peter Altidis, Executive member and former president of IAA, and is presented by IAA.

Copies of the book are available in Australia from IAA ($15.00 per book, plus $3.00 postage for orders within Australia).

Click here to download the order form for the Australian version of Frustrated by hearing loss 2016

Complete the order form and email to exec@independentaudiologists.net.au
or post to IAA at P.O. Box 164, Turramurra, NSW, 2074.

What is an audiologist?

Audiologists hold university postgraduate university qualifications – Masters degrees or equivalent – in Audiology.  Audiology is a young and emerging field that covers auditory (hearing) and vestibular (balance) function and dysfunction in people of all ages.  All audiologists are qualified to conduct hearing assessments and provide no-medical treatment for hearing, listening and balance difficulties.

Audiologists work very closely with medical specialists and other allied healthcare professionals to assist the one in six Australians living with hearing loss.

Read more here….